Saturday, August 14, 2010

Have you ever...?

I thought about leaving this post as open ended as the title, just to see if anyone would come up with something, but then it dawned on me that I haven't updated in so long, most people have probably forgotten that at times I like to write. I really would apologize, but so few people in the world are actually die-hard enough bloggers that update on a daily or even monthly basis. Don't believe me? Well, before I got here to write, I had to remember my address, it had been that long. In the meantime, I searched for different variations of my name, only to find that all the variations hadn't updated since 2008. That even predates this site. So, no complaining!

So, to finish the initial question... have you ever won a geek fight, and then was proud of said victory? If you actually have the guts to say no, I'll call you a liar, because you're on the internet, and as anyone knows, the internet is serious business. I, myself, have often caught myself falling for the internet rage and have argued with people over the most trivial and stupid things ever. Things that no human in his or her right mind would ever spout off about in public. Sadly, for me, today was one of those days.

And it was about Star Trek... of all things.

First and foremost, I would like to think I'm not actually a trekkie (or as they prefer to be called, trekker, mere semantics if you ask me, but whatever puts the power in your hands) Sure, I grew up on Star Trek, it was one of the few tv shows or movies my parents would let me watch, I even played most of the games and have recently started the online version. Would this normally make me a Star Trek Super Nerd? An a.k.a. Trekker? Well, yes and no. While this is behavior you would most often associate with Trekkers, I will always draw the lines at dressing up in whatever color of uniform and running around like a madman making laser sounds. (That brings up a side note, did you know there are Trekker dating sites? People get all bent out of shape with different religions nowadays, but really, that doesn't match the indoctrination of the standard Trekker union. I wonder if the babies pop out in different color uniforms, which again makes me wonder if the parents fear for the child that comes out with a red shirt on... but I digress)

I had an argument today on Facebook... yes, Facebook. I'm as surprised as you. This argument started when someone said that Star Trek 3 was better than Wrath of Khan. And yes, even as I read this, I heard the audible gasp. You can pick your jaw up off of the floor and breathe. Now, when I strongly disagreed with the other person, they told me I was living in a delusion. And you know what? In hindsight, I totally agree, and if Rational Jay was having this heated discussion, he would've agreed and dropped it. But no. Irrational Jay was having this heated discussion, so what did IJ do? He went to RottenTomatoes, the source of all civilized film opinion in the universe and quoted the statistics there... I won't say them, but Khan won, but there really was no surprise there.

That of course, didn't work, because critics are wrong more than half of the time, so I needed to find another source of information that would back of my claims. What I'm about to tell you should probably not be spoken, but I'm going to out of pure shame.

Someone created a statistic, long ago, that completely validates my point in a purely mathematical and scientific way.

I was shocked on two fronts. One that I was able to find said statistical survey, and two, because someone made it. And it completely makes sense.

That ended the fight by itself(either that, or the other dude just walked away, which, again, I should have done, but didn't). I was the proud victor of the Queen Mother of all Nerd Fights. It was a fleeting victory, however. It wasn't long because I realized what I had done and had then wished it all away. Those are the fights that even when you win, you lose. The thing is, I don't feel bad. I doubt there's a single person in this world who hasn't won a nerd fight, and for those of you out there who are proud of those facts, I salute you. You're braver than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment